The Ecology and Environmental =>
The quantity of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere keeps increasing. The Earth's temperature is rising. Now media are reporting that we only have 18 months to save the climate. Scaremongering, or a serious prognosis?
This time, the warning came directly from Buckingham Palace in London. "I am firm of the view that the next 18 months will decide our ability to keep climate change to survivable levels and to restore nature to the equilibrium we need for our survival," -- Prince Charles said recently.
P.M. Modi: led for Initiative. ‘One Sun One World One Grid’ (OSOWOG)
“state of environmental emergency”: has been declared by the island nation of Mauritius. The environmental emergency has been declared as a Japanese bulk carrier “MV Wakashio” ran aground on a reef in Mauritius and began leaking oil into the ocean. The ship stranded two weeks ago(in July 2020) is leaking tons of fuel into the surrounding waters.
BRICS member nation Environment Minister Virtual meet: The Environment Ministers of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) participated in the 6thBRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting on 30 July 2020 via videoconference under the presidency of Russia.
Sendai Framework: is laid for a reduction in Disaster Risk,
Digging in the past:--
Poba Reserve Forest in Asam: Poba Reserve Forest in Assam will be upgraded to Wildlife Sanctuary.
UN has set17 goals to achieve by 2030.Sustainable Development
India)Noida(CoP 14-organized at Greater
around 150 are found in MunCoP 25 was organised at Madrid(Spain)
Pithoragarh district of the state. The state has over 600 species of lichens of which
Uttarakhand Forest Department has developed India's 'first' lichen park in Munsiyari in
India’s ‘first’ lichen park in Uttarakhand:
Biodiversity Park in Uttrakhand: On June 5, 2020, the state forest department opened the state's biggest biodiversity park in Haldwani.
Major component of Biogas is: Methane(CH4).
· · Bio-Diversity Hot-SpotH: areas where there is a high concentration of Endemic Species and is suffering from habitat loss or distortion. A biodiversity hotspot is a biogeographic region with significant levels of biodiversity that is threatened by human habitation.
· Anoxic Water: Anoxic waters are areas of seawater, freshwater, or groundwater that are depleted of dissolved oxygen. The US Geological Survey defines anoxic groundwater as those with a dissolved oxygen concentration of less than 0.5 milligrams per liter.
· Hypoxia: It is the situation of Anoxic Water, having 0% concentration of Dissolved Oxygen.
· Hypoxic or Dyoxic water: water is having a concentration of D.O. between 1% to 30%.
· Exaerobic: when the area D.O. concentration lies between two.
· Dead Zones: Dead zones are hypoxic (low-oxygen) areas in the world's oceans and large lakes, caused by "excessive nutrient pollution from human activities coupled with other factors that deplete the oxygen required to support most marine life in bottom and near-bottom water. Currently there are some 400 dead zones worldwide.·
Biomagnification: This implies the concentration of Toxic in successive magnification by Toxic Compound that passes forth via Food Chain. Biomagnification, also known as bio-amplification or biological magnification, is any concentration of a toxin, such as pesticides, in the tissues of tolerant organisms at successively higher levels in a food chain.
It is all due to the excessive exploitation of resources that led to this devastating situation. Hence, To avoid it, we should adopt for
****************Few more Hand-Written Notes***********************